Priority Axis 2: Cooperating for greener and climate change resilient programme area
Specific objective: RSO2.2. Promoting renewable energy in accordance with Renewable Energy Directive (EU) 2018/2001, including the sustainability criteria set out therein
The programme area has a significant potential for the use of renewable energy sources. The impact of actions is expected on the development of favourable models and exchange of experiences and practices that contribute to the reduction of CO2 emissions, in particular supporting models and practices that raise the energy efficiency of buildings and households. The actions will be focused on public infrastructure, creation of knowledge-base and human resources required for energy transition, as well as on national, regional and local agencies that promote energy efficiency.
The proposed actions include investments in measures and actions that increase energy efficiency and improve the integration of sustainable renewable energy sources. Use of RES such as solar and bioenergy plants should be considered when developing new infrastructure.
Types of actions
Expected results of the actions are improved conditions for public and private sector investments and innovations in energy efficiency and integration of sustainable renewable energy sources in different sectors across the programme area.
Examples of cross-border actions to be supported (a non-exhaustive list):
- Development of joint solutions to increase the production of additional capacity for renewable energy (e.g. solar, geothermal, biomass, etc.) including small scale infrastructure preferring nature-based solutions
- Development and implementation of joint pilot actions that improve the integration of sustainable renewable energy sources in different sectors (e.g. building and construction sector, industry, agriculture, forestry etc.)
- Joint solutions, research and pilot actions on RES (e.g. circular solutions, use and reuse of sustainable materials, demo centres/plants)
- Implementing pilot actions to test innovative and climate-neutral solutions through e.g. taking up and exploiting R&D results for the energy efficient renovation and heating and cooling of buildings (including cultural heritage buildings)
- Improving energy demand management and fostering behavioural changes of consumers for reducing energy consumption and a resource-efficient and sustainable use of energy, supporting schemes linking various aspects of energy savings and energy efficiency, including include awareness raising activities and information regarding cooperation mechanisms and financing schemes
- Promoting the production and use of advanced biofuels (produced from non-food/energy crops, such as cellulosic biofuels, and biomass supplied from sustainable sources), prioritising the use of brownfield locations. The Programme shall support alternative methods of water collection for irrigation of energy crops
- Strengthening the cross-border cooperation and transfer of knowledge in the region through exchange of experience, information (awareness raising) and capacity building through online and in-situ trainings to improve skills in the field of use of renewable energy sources.
Allocation: 6,264,270.80 €
Main target groups
The programme will aim at encouraging beneficial models and practices in use of renewable energy sources through supporting the public sector institutions that can educate end users and service providers, as well as initiate, plan and promote renewable energy, i.e.:
– public authorities (national/regional/local level) and bodies governed by public law,
– public energy actors (agencies, operators and facilities),
– public providers of communal services,
– regional and local development agencies, education and research institutions and organizations and NGOs and Cooperatives active in the energy efficiency field.